• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slpagal1

slpagal1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Is anyone in, or did anyone take this AA program? Was looking for reviews on it.

#2 cutiepie200135

cutiepie200135

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Is anyone in, or did anyone take this AA program? Was looking for reviews on it.

This is so funny because I was looking at this program too. I live in stockton and thought i don't really want to take nursing and there aren't many choices to choose from. When I emailed an instructor she advised that i could take this then work while i'm in school to get my bachelors/masters. But when I look on the internet for jobs I don't see very many if any at all. And I have an issue with the program, why does it require swim for health? I don't know how to swim nor do I really want to do it. I was thinking of majoring in early childhood education, then see about the bachelors/masters degree programs, what do you think?

#3 tmack2833

tmack2833

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

I looked into SLPA jobs as well and here in northern Ca there isnt a lot of jobs for them. But I know in texas they use them alot. Go figure. But they have lots good paying jobs for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physical Therapy Assistants. I think I am seeing some discrimination towards the speech pathology field.

#4 cutiepie200135

cutiepie200135

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

I looked into SLPA jobs as well and here in northern Ca there isnt a lot of jobs for them. But I know in texas they use them alot. Go figure. But they have lots good paying jobs for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physical Therapy Assistants. I think I am seeing some discrimination towards the speech pathology field.

You know what, I was thinking the same thing. I mean most places want there SLPA's to have a bachelors degree but with the others they only have to have a associates degree. I was looking into occupational therapy as well because pay is higher, only an associates degree and demand. But there isn't a program near me, the only one close is in sacramento but I would have to drive there everyday. Right now I just don't know what to do.

#5 SLPStudent2

SLPStudent2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

I don't think it is discrimination, but I do think it is an issue of regulation. I live in WA, and there aren't many opportunities for SLPA's here. Currently SLPA's are unregulated in WA (I hear this might be changing and will eventually be similar to a nurse's aid/nurse with regard to SLPA/SLP) but it means that hospitals, clinics, etc. won't hire these people as there are not clear standards. So, as of now, most are in rural school settings underneath a licensed SLP. SLP's requirements vary only slightly from state to state as they have to first be licensed by ASHA which is an overarching national standard. So, it makes it easier to have a level of consistency in regards to exactly what SLP requirements are, but can vary widely from state to state as to what it takes to be an SLPA. It is probably not a coincidence that states that seem to have clear licensing for SLPA's (for example, like AZ and TX) also seem to utilize them the most. I found this information out for my state, when I was checking into an AA program for SLPA's at a local community college a couple years ago. In fact, the program has been discontinued as of last semester. This does not surprise me, as I was originally looking into this program to get my prerequisites for grad school, and was told it was a 'technical program' so that the classes would not work for prereqs, and as I said there didn't seem to be much employment opportunity if I completed it. The director of the program said it was mainly for people who lived in rural areas, were already employed by a school in some capacity and basically had an agreement that they would be an SLPA upon completion, or were a parent of a child with speech issues from autism, cleft palate, etc. that would probably need long term speech therapy. So, the issue might just be that the occupational assistants or physical therapy assistants are regulated better than the SLPA's in the states that you are looking at, and not discrimination at all. Call or email and ask about what percentage of the program graduates are employed, and where they are employed. That should also help give you an idea what opportunities are for SLPA's are in your area. You should also check into your specific state licensing and regulations in regards to just SLPA's. ---Also, in regards to the 'swim for health' debate as a requirement at the San Joaquin Delta SLPA Program, that was briefly mentioned in an above post and in several postings somewhere on here recently, I would go to this page: http://www.deltacoll...iv/hs/slpa.html At the bottom of it, is contact info for the SLPA Program Director both her email and phone. If you look at the recommended course sequence it also sprinkles in an American Govt. and Institutions class from the Poly Sci dept. and some other weird stuff. My guess is that 'swim for health' is just an option as it looks like there are two PE requirements for their AA degree. It seems they also throw in 'Individual Conditioning I' which is probably weight lifting if I had to guess. So, could be totally wrong here, but... I think these are not hard and fast requirements as to what the class is in this case, but that you need so many credits of PE for their AA and these two classes fit the requirement. So, you could probably contact the SLPA director and ask if there was an alternative PE course that would fit their requirement. (Such as Jazz Aerobics or Fencing or anything else you think you could suffer through if you look at this page: http://www.deltacoll...Recreation.html ) Just a thought. That is what I would do anyway, if I really wanted to go and not wanting to swim was the only thing stopping me. Hope this helps...

#6 tmack2833

tmack2833

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thanks SLPStudent2 for the info. I was just thinking ahead. I am currently in my undergrad at a California State University majoring in Speech Pathology. I was just worried that if I dont get into a SLP grad program what would my options be. What could I do with a Speech Pathology undergrad degree? Its scary..LoL

#7 cutiepie200135

cutiepie200135

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:43 AM

Thank you so much for the info and for being so helpful, I think I will contact the director of the program to see if I can take something else besides swim.

#8 ladyg

ladyg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

Thank you so much for the info and for being so helpful, I think I will contact the director of the program to see if I can take something else besides swim.

You definitely can. I didn't quite finish the program before transferring to a full-on SLP program, but there is some leeway.

The program director maintains some job listings as well.

If you have a BA, then the director can look at your transcript, and recommend some number of hours of internship and maybe the class that is specific to the SLPA job. Its pretty easy. Many go on to a job at the place they do the internship.

THere are quite a few jobs, but few seem to be posted. I recommend attending a local / district CSHA.

#9 cutiepie200135

cutiepie200135

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

You definitely can. I didn't quite finish the program before transferring to a full-on SLP program, but there is some leeway.

The program director maintains some job listings as well.

If you have a BA, then the director can look at your transcript, and recommend some number of hours of internship and maybe the class that is specific to the SLPA job. Its pretty easy. Many go on to a job at the place they do the internship.

THere are quite a few jobs, but few seem to be posted. I recommend attending a local / district CSHA.

I think I will do that, I found out there is other classes I can take besides swim. I am taking classes for SLPA program now and so far so good, I just have to stick with it.

#10 SLPAbeware!

SLPAbeware!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Beware of the SLPA associate degree program. There is important information they neglect to inform you about in the program: 1. Associates degree NOT enough. Very difficult to get employment with only AA/AS. Way too much competition from those with higher education! Many come from Bachelor degree programs. 2. Watch out for age discrimination. If you are 40+ almost impossible to attain a position. Most prefer young, chipper, barbie types. 3. The program teaches very little about working with challenging behaviors. The majority of clients you work with have serious behavioral issues. Many are clients with Autism, intellectual and/or mental impairment. You will be kicked, hit, bit, spit on, have items and furniture thrown at you. Gee, why don't they inform you about these issues!? 4. Ridiculous amount of work. Often times required to do things out of the scope of practice. Most times you will have up to 6 clients per 30 min. sessions with 3 to 5 goals each, many with differing goals. You will do it all with no help from SLP, due to them writing reports, in meetings, etc. You will plan, prep, provide direct therapy, and collect data for each session-for each client. 5. The schedule is a frantic fire drill every day. You are expected to teach entire classes alone, co-teach, and push-in classrooms including severe Autism class. Very few understand or respect what SLPAs do. 6. Very few open full time positions. Even with AA/AS degree, experience, and great references next to impossible to attain fulltime job. I would not recommend this job to anyone! Way too stressful!!! (I graduated from SJDC SLPA program with AS degree with honors+ previous unrelated AA). I worked as SLPA in various schools for 5 yrs. in long-term & short-term temporary positions. Never again.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users