1 reply to this topic

#1 Nativecutie

Nativecutie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

I will be relocating to the Phoenix area this fall (2016) due to my husbands work. I own my own business in WV and contract to school districts as well as privately test and do in home Therapy on occasion. My rates vary from $65-80 an hour here, and I know some contract companies have charged even more over the years. Sadly, with budget cuts the rates are dropping drastically and schools here are choosing assistants over SLP's and although illegal and unethical, they are getting away with it (schools staffing assistants only without licensed SLP supervision, testing, medically fragile, etc.). A few SLP's were paid so low that assistants were making more! A few in the 20-30 dollar range from contracting companies. So it's a perfect time to move on!! We will be renting for a while in order to find the perfect place to settle in, so we will need to be within 30-45 minutes of Glendale, AZ (where his office is located). I want to contract with a school part time ideally for now. Preferably PK to 8th grade range. I am not bilingual, but have extensive background in multicultural studies and am Ojibwe myself. I have 13 years experience, and was a lead SLP in a district with 24 SLP's under me. I worked heavily with early intervention (3-5 yrs.) and helped coordinate community outreach programs and screenings with Head Start. Can anyone offer advice on how to go about independent contracting in this area? Usually I would send my resume with a generic contract letter with pricing to County schools. Are schools County wide there or by town? Areas to avoid? Maybe best paying contract companies in the area if I decided not to be independent? Any and all advice appreciated! To do the work in WV, all I needed was a state license and my C's. Is it similar there? I would love advice on just about everything!! Scared to death to move 2000 miles away! WV was even scary because I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA!!! Scorpions top my list too! Thank you all!

#2 Symen James

Symen James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:00 AM

You should, perhaps,  look into staffing agencies to get you a job of  your choice. You should find one that has a good reputation (research online) and sign up with them. Most of the times, they will set you up at a location based on your preference and you may be able to negotiate your pay as well. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users